The echo360 video editor was updated on 11/3/20. Instructions on using the editor are detailed below. The following video demonstrates (in a bit more detail) how to use the new editor.
Universal Capture Personal does not provide a video editor, edits must be made once the recording has been uploaded. Once you've done this, you can make changes and save them to the original video, or you can make changes and 'Save As'. Save As creates a copy of the video with the changes you made.
We recommend using the latest version of Google chrome to edit your videos as we have had several reports of users being unable to edit using Firefox. We have reported the issue to Echo360 who provide the technology.
This training guide describes the basic steps required to edit a recording. It includes how to:
- Find the video you want to edit.
- Edit a recording/capture
1. Find the video you want to edit
1.1 Log into Echo360
1.2 Locate the recording/capture
The recording will appear under My Content
1.2.1 Open the Edit Media window
Identify the recording you wish to Edit and click on it. The page below will appear.
Click on Edit Media
2. Edit a recording/capture
Once you have located the recording and opened it, the editor window will display as shown below. Depending on the inputs selected at the time of recording, you should see Audio, Video 1 and Video 2. Note the the audio input will only appear for recordings created after 11th March 2020.
2. 1 Using the playback controls
|1||Use the playback controls to find specific locations to mark.|
|2||Zoom in/out for a more precise view of the video.|
|3||Use the Top and Tail buttons to trim the ends of the video.|
|4||Use the Cut icon to mark the location of the playhead.|
|5||Use the Delete button to delete a segment of the video.|
|6||Use the Trim Handles to identify segments of the video to edit.|
|7||Undo/Redo to revert or restore edits.|
|8||Use the Restore, Save , Save As options as needed.|
2.2 Trim the start or end of a recording
Zoom in/out on the timeline for a more precise view of a section of a recording.
Cutting segments in the video editor involves identifying each end of the cut by using the playhead, then selecting to make the cut.
- To trim the start: drag the playhead from the start of the recording to the location you would like to make the cut. Use the cut icon to mark the location of the cut. Click in any area between the two trim handles (pink lines) and click the delete icon.
- To trim the end: drag the playhead from the end of the recording to the location you would like to make the cut. Use the cut icon to mark the location of the cut. Click in any area between the two trim handles (pink lines) and click the delete icon.
**refer to video below
2.3 Cut a segment from the recording:
Moving the playhead marker
There are three ways to place the playhead marker in a specific location:
- Play the video and pause it where you want to apply a cut.
- Click and drag the playhead marker across the timeline to the location for the cut.
- Hover the mouse over the playbar, then click in the playbar to the location for the cut.
- Use the manual entry field to enter a specific time to jump to a location for the cut.
- Put the playhead marker at the beginning location of the segment you want to cut.
- Click the CUT icon (scissors).
- Move the playhead marker to the end location of the segment you want to cut.
- Click the CUT icon (scissors).
- Click into the area between the cuts to select it (this also moves the playhead into that area; ignore it).
- Click DELETE to temporarily cut that segment from the video. The cut segment turns grey, to indicate it is no longer part of the playback.
Repeat these steps for each segment you want to remove from the video. Remember, these cuts are temporary until you save your changes.
The video below briefly demonstrates the process of editing a video.
2.4 Save the edits
Use the buttons across the top right of the editing window to complete your editing and process the video with your changes.
- RESTORE - Reverts all changes ever made to the video and restores the original video file. This option is only active if you open a recording that had previous edits applied to it.
- SAVE - Applies the changes you've made to this video and will make changes to ALL shared and published versions of the video. These changes are reflected in the playback bar on the editing screen; grey segments are deleted.
- SAVE AS - Creates a COPY of the video with your edits. In addition, you are now the owner of the edited copy, regardless of whether you were the owner of the original video or not.
To exit without making or saving any changes, click the back arrow in the top left corner of the video editing screen.
For guidance on how to publish a recording. see the guide Publish a Universal Capture Personal Recording