- Requires EndNote X2 or above (UCL currently only supports EndNote X)
UCL settings in EndNote
EndNote has options for linking to online articles, or downloading PDFs where possible. These can be customised to make use of UCL's subscriptions to electronic journals.
See also EndNote's guide to the Find Full Text feature.
1. Set the EndNote preferences
- Go to the Edit menu, and then select Preferences...
- Select 'Find Full Text'
- Set the OpenURL path to
- Set the 'Authenticate with' URL to
2. When you execute "Find Full Text" (from the References menu or by right-clicking) on a set of records in your EndNote library, EndNote will ask you to log in with your UCL username and password and then try to connect to the publisher of the article and bring back a PDF, or a link to the full text. The mechanism for this differs from publisher to publisher, and EndNote is not yet working for every publisher. This is why only a proportion of PDFs or links are found.
Selecting Find Full Text for a set of records
EndNote shows the UCL login screen
3. For any records where no URL or PDF is found, execute URL...OpenURL link for that record (from the References menu or by right-clicking). This will look up the publication through UCL's SFX service, and offer Full Text if we have a subscription. This has to be done for one record at a time, but is more reliable than Find Full Text.