Induction for your students
As a part of the process for new (and returning) students we strongly recommend that academic staff spend some time inducting their students about the technology used within their studies. Online courses in Moodle can introduce many new ways of learning for a student and so spending a short period of time from the outset can have longer term benefits for some individuals.
Below is a presentation recommended to be used in your induction procedures, usually in the first few weeks or in any other talks held.
This presentation is a template and should be customised to suit how you use Moodle.
Students inducting themselves
Students may of course wish to work their own way through the basics of Moodle themselves, and they are recommended to do so. The Student Moodle Inductions course (link below) contains information about learning online, using Moodle and some sample activities and resources to get them started.
You may also want to consider a few other things:
- Induction task / such as logging in and checking students are able to access the correct courses/modules.
- Taking part in introductory activities, such as an introduce yourself forum, or watching content in Lecturecast (perhaps a sample from past years).
- Introducing other learning technologies which will be used and where they will fit into the module.
- Moodle Student Inductions - template PowerPoint presentation
- [Moodle Student Inductions - template TurningPoint (ppt) presentation (with TurningPoint voting slides)
Note: you have full permission to edit/copy and change this presentation as much as you like, if anything we would encourage it.