What is it?
MyFeedback is a report that enables you to view grades and feedback for assessment activities such as Moodle Assignments, Turnitin Assignments, Workshops and Quizzes across modules in a single-view report.
The report provides links to submissions and any feedback that has been released to students.
Why use it?
The report helps students (supported by their personal tutors) to better understand the variety of feedback they receive, draw ties between different assessments and modules, and allow them to reflect on their feedback to see how they can improve in future assessments. It also allows Tutors to see how their students are progressing within the modules they teach.
Who can use it?
MyFeedback is available to students, personal tutors, course tutors and departmental administrators.
- Students can view feedback and grades from their assessments across all their UCL Moodle courses. Student help documentation is available from:https://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/ELearningStudentSupport/MyFeedback+for+students
- Personal tutors can see their tutees' full MyFeedback reports across all the modules their students are studying. Note: personal tutors will not be able to link through to assessments on courses they do not have tutor access to.
- Module tutors and assessors can see MyFeedback reports for their students containing assessment information for any modules they teach and/or assess. They will not see any assessments for modules they do not teach (unless they have been granted tutor access to those Moodle courses).
- Departmental administrators can see MyFeedback reports for all the Moodle courses within categories where they have been assigned departmental administrator access in Moodle. Categories in Moodle will either be for the entire department, or might be broken down further into undergraduate and postgraduate modules. Staff requiring this access will need to ask their department's current category level course administrator to assign them this role.
Before I start...
To make the most of MyFeedback, markers need to use Moodle in ways that makes the information visible within the report. Many of these suggestions also make assessment feedback more visible to students generally. Please refer to the MyFeedback guide for Module tutors for further information on how markers can provide feedback that is visible within the report and easily viewed by students.
Note: If deciding between Moodle Assignments and Turnitin Assignment, be aware that Turnitin feedback cannot be shown directly in the MyFeedback report and requires the student to copy and paste this in, so Moodle Assignment feedback is more visible in the report.
How do I access and use MyFeedback?
- You can navigate to your own MyFeedback report via the MyFeedback link which is accessible by clicking on your name when you are logged into Moodle .
- If you are both a student and a tutor, you can view your own report as well as the reports of those you teach.
- A MyFeedback user manual for students is available at https://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/ELearningStudentSupport/MyFeedback.
Departmental admin tab
My students tab
Feedback comments tab
Personal tutor tab – for student use only
Search bar – searches for any value within the module summary table
Note: Staff are required to complete training courses on Moodle as part of their induction, thus every staff member should also be a student on at least one course. As such the Overview and Personal tutor tab will be shown on a Departmental admin's MyFeedback report, however they will only show information related to the courses studied as a student.
For more information on the Overview tabs, please refer to the MyFeedback user guide for students.
Departmental Admin Dashboard
Course level filters
Stats per assessment toggle
Stats per student toggle
Module tutor stats toggle – provides information on Module tutors linked to the department of the administrator
Overall grade chart
Table summary functions
The Departmental admin dashboard displays assessment statistics for the courses and modules linked to a Departmental admin, depending on the course level filter selected.
The report view can also be toggled to show statistics per assessment, module or module tutor.
The Assessment breakdown organises student grades according to their module of study, while the Student breakdown lists each student by name and the number of assessments they have been given.
Staff can gain further insight into the assessment information of individual students by clicking on the student's name.
The Module tutor stats toggle allows Departmental admins to view the performance of Module tutors for each of their tutor groups.
The My students tab can be used to display the details all any student enrolled on Moodle courses within the administrator's department. You can search for a student by entering their email address in the Search box.
Search field - enter student email address to bring up their details
Student name column
Please note that the information described relates to the fields found after a Tutor clicks into a student's name from the Module tutor dashboard. The columns are visible in both the Overview and Feedback comments tabs.
Accessing Full Feedback Information
The full feedback shown is dependent on the type of assessment that the Student has been assigned. The different types of assessment types, and the pages they link to, is shown below.
What is shown when you click on 'view feedback' in the Full feedback column.
Full breakdown of the answers submitted in the quiz. The correct/incorrect answers are displayed along with comments from the student's tutor. You can navigate to a summary of all previous attempts by clicking on the quiz name in the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page.
Links through to the Moodle course Gradebook where you can see the tutor feedback for that item. It will also list all of the assessment grades for that Moodle course. There is a Feedback tab that links back to the MyFeedback dashboard.
The student's Turnitin report is shown together with similarity matches and the module tutor's feedback. This may include general feedback, in-text comments and rubric/grading forms, depending on what the tutor has provided.
The Moodle Assignment page, showing summary information of the student's assignment and their grade. This may include general feedback, t he completed rubric/marking guide, and a link to the document containing in-text comments , depending on what the tutor has provided.
You see the results page for the workshop, including any peer-assessment, tutor feedback or self-assessment the student has received .
Accessing Module Information
Tutors can quickly access the homepages of the Modules linked to a student by clicking on the respective Module name linked to an assessment on the MyFeedback dashboards (Overview & Feedback comments tabs).
The Feedback comments tab shows general feedback from the Tutor linked to the assessment, selected rubric options and marking guide/grading form comments from Moodle Assignments. Overall feedback in Moodle quizzes for particular grades is also provided. Peer, self and tutor assessment feedback is shown for Workshops.
The date that students viewed the feedback from an assessment is also displayed, allowing tutors to easily determine if and when their comments are being read. Feedback that has not been viewed will have a cross displayed beside it.
View own dashboard button
Assessment summary table functions – reset, export or print the assessment summary table
Show/hide columns filter – show or hide the columns displayed in the assessment summary table
General Feedback column – this is where brief feedback from tutors can be found
Full feedback – this is where Students can find full feedback from Personal/Module Tutors
Viewed column – indicates the most recent date on which the Student reviewed the full feedback provided by their tutor
Comparing assessment feedback within the Feedback comments tab
Under the General feedback column in the Feedback comments tab, students and staff can view tutors' comments on their performance on an assessment.
If the assessment is a Turnitin assignment, students also have the ability copy and paste comments from the original feedback provided on their Turnitin reports.
What is shown in the General feedback column on the Feedback comments tab?
Any overall comments provided by the tutor that relate to the final quiz score.
Any general comments provided by the tutor.
|Turnitin feedback cannot be shown directly in the report, since this information is only available within Turnitin itself. Students can choose to copy and paste general feedback from Turnitin into this column.|
Any general feedback provided by the tutor, as well as the selected rubric descriptors or marking guide feedback for each criteria.
Any general feedback comments provided by peers, the student themselves (self-assessment), or the tutor.
MyFeedback enables students to add self-reflective notes against their graded assessments, which can be viewed by their respective Personal Tutors and Departmental Administrators.
If the category you are accessing contains a large number of assessments you may be unable to run the report, due to system limitations.
Examples and case studies
Questions & Answers
Q. Why can't students see their grades and feedback in the MyFeedback report?
A. Please see the MyFeedback report miniguide.
Q. How do I obtain Departmental Administrator access to the MyFeedback report?
A. MyFeedback Departmental Administrator access can be granted by a Moodle Category level Course Administrator.
Each department should have a member of staff who has category level access to that department's Moodle courses. You can ask this person to enrol you as the MyFeedback Departmental Administrator for your department (or a sub category within the department - e.g. for only the undergraduate or postgraduate modules, assuming the category has been set up in this way).
Q. How do I find out who has Category level Course Administrator access (and can grant me access to the MyFeedback Departmental Admin dashboard)?
A. If you do not know who has category level course administrator access for your department's Moodle courses, go to one of your Moodle courses and follow these steps:
- In the Settings block, click Users and then Enrolled Users
- Filter the Enrolment methods to show only those with Category enrolments. Click Filter.
- You will need to contact one of the people listed here as a Course Administrator and ask them to assign you with MyFeedback Departmental Administrator access.
If no-one in your department has category level course admin access yet, the appropriate person will need to follow the normal process to apply for this access, so they can then assign MyFeedback Departmental Administrators. You can find out more here: Moodle Category level access.
Q. As a category level course admin, how do I grant staff access to the MyFeedback Departmental Administrator role?
A. A category level Moodle Course Administrator can add MyFeedback Departmental Administrators by following these steps:
- First of all, ensure you have the approval of the relevant Head of Department (or similar) before granting anyone this access.
- Login to Moodle.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Course Overview block and click Browse all courses on UCL Moodle ...
- This will bring up a menu of all UCL Moodle categories. Find the category that contains the Moodle courses for which to grant someone MyFeedback Departmental Administrator rights.
- NB: This might involve clicking through to sub categories such as postgraduate or undergraduate categories (if these exist).
- Once you have found the category, if you scroll down on the right hand side you should see a Settings block, locate and click Assign roles.
- Find the MyFeedback Departmental Administrator role and click on this, so you can assign colleagues to this role.
- User the Potential users box to search for those you wish to add and then add them by clicking on their name and then clicking Add.
- Repeat this as many time as needed. There is no save button.
For an overview of MyFeedback (not specific to departmental administrators) please see: M52 - MyFeedback report.