What is it?
Why use it?
H5P is a good alternative to Flash-based and SCORM-bases content which makes the process of both creating and maintaining rich, interactive content much quicker and easier. This is especially important as support for Flash is coming to end and web content which relies on this technology will no longer work.
Who can use it?
H5P Interactive Activities can be made within Moodle by anyone who is enrolled as a Course Administrator, Leader or Tutor on a course. The created activity can then be viewed by anyone who has access to the course page unless restrictions are added to control who can access it.
What are the different activity types I can add using H5P?
- Accordion - Create vertically stacked expandable items
- Agamotto (Image Blender) - Present a sequence of images and explanations
- Arithmetic Quiz - Create time-based arithmetic quizzes
- Chart - Quickly generate bar and pie charts
- Collage - Create a collage of multiple images
- Column - Oragnise H5P content into a column layout
- Course Presentation - Create a presentation with interactive slides
- Dialog Cards - Create text-based turning cards
- Dictation - Create a dictation with instant feedback
- Documentation Tool - Create a form wizard with text export
- Drag and Drop - Create drag and drop tasks with images
- Drag the Words - Create text-based drag and drop tasks
- Essay - Create Essay with instant feedback
- Fill in the Blanks - Create a task with missing words in a text
- Find Multiple Hotspots - Create many hotspots for users to find
- Find the Hotspot - Create image hotspots for users to find
- Flashcards - Create stylish and modern flashcards
- Guess the Answer - Create an image with a question and answer
- Image Hotspots - Create an image with multiple info hotspots
- Image Juxtaposition - Create interactive images
- Image Pairing - Drag and drop image matching game
- Image Sequencing - Place images in the correct order
- Image Slider - Easily create an image slider
- Interactive Video – add questions or pop-up text to videos
- Mark the Words - Create a task where users highlight words
- Multiple Choice - Create flexible multiple choice questions
- Quiz (Question Set) - Create a sequence of various question types
- Single Choice Set - Create questions with one correct answer
- Summary - Create tasks with a list of statements
- Timeline - Create a timeline of events with multimedia
- True/False Question - Create True/False questions
Why are some activities not available?
Some activities within the H5P plugin have been disabled to avoid large media files being uploaded or because the activity is not related to teaching and learning at UCL. To see a list of activities which have been turned off, please see H5P activities held.
If you believe a particular activity should be enabled and would benefit your teaching please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I use H5P within Moodle?
- To use H5P within your Moodle course, Turn editing on, locate an appropriate section, click Add an activity or resource, and select Interactive Content then click Add.
- Enter a Description (which you can display if you wish).
- Within the Editor, select the H5P activity type you'd like to use and create your interactive activity.
- If required, select Restrict access and setup any required activity restrictions.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save and display.
H5P activities within Moodle don't store any data in the Gradebook so you won't be able to a users overall score or individual responses.
The H5P website has information and examples for each activity type. Please see this web page for examples on different activities you can use in your teaching.
Questions & Answers
None at this time.
If you'd like to know more about each H5P activity type and see examples of how they can be used, please visit this page on the H5P website.