This page covers some of the recent updates to the Electronic Voting System (EVS) in use at UCL, called TurningPoint.
- Content created with older versions WILL WORK with TP v.8, but once used in the new version, you will not be able to edit the slides with older versions of the software.
- If you are using your own laptop to present, please ensure you have the latest version of TurningPoint for use with the new receiver. Please see below for links to download.
- Old receivers/dongles WILL NOT work with the new version of TurningPoint.
Over Summer 2017, in line with Deskptop@UCL's move to Windows 10 and Office 2016, TurningPoint software on central UCL lecture theater PCs has been updated to a newer version, which requires a new receiver. Click the headings below to find out more, and ensure you're ready to use the new version of the software and receiver for teaching.
This update in software is accompanied by new receivers (aka 'dongles') - shown on the left- which replace the previous receivers - shown on the right.
These new receivers can be used with existing handsets, but will only work with the newest version of the software (see below for where to download this). So, if you are:
Note that old receivers will continue to work with older versions of the software, but that you may experience some issues if moving between different campuses and teaching setups.
- If you are using your own laptop to present, please ensure you have the latest version of TurningPoint for use with the new receiver. This can be downloaded from the locations listed below.
- Content created with older versions WILL WORK with TurningPoint version 8, but once used in the new version, you will not be able to edit the slides with older versions of the software.
You can download TurningPoint version 8 from the ISD Software database: http://swdb.ucl.ac.uk/package/view/id/410 (UCL staff login required), or from directly from the TurningPoint website: https://www.turningtechnologies.com/downloads (form to fill out).
The new version of TurningPoint is very similar to previous versions, used from inside PowerPoint. As before, please make sure that you open TurningPoint from the desktop or the start menu, noting that the icon has changed.
If you start TurningPoint without a receiver plugged in, the following pop-up will appear - please pick the 'Create Content Offline' option.
If you have the receiver plugged in, you will go straight to the next screen. Click 'Start Now' under 'PowerPoint Polling'.
PowerPoint will then open, with the TurningPoint tools in the ribbon.
You can then follow the steps listed in the TurningPoint guidance to create polling questions (please ignore any references to signing in to a TurningPoint account) : https://d2p83s3q5aa83e.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/PowerPointPollingPC.pdf
The guidance above from TurningPoint also includes instructions on how to poll during your session, save session data, and how to generate reports afterwards.