Turnitin will currently accept the following file types to generate Originality Reports (as of 15 Dec 2016)
• Microsoft Word® (.doc / .docx)1
• OpenOffice Text (.odt)2
• Google Docs via Google Drive™ (.gdoc files are NOT acceptable)3
• WordPerfect® (.wpd)
• PostScript (.ps/.eps)
• Adobe® PDF4
• Microsoft PowerPoint® (.pptx, .ppt, .ppsx, and .pps)5
• Microsoft Excel® (.xls and .xlsx)6
• Rich text format (.rtf)
• Plain text (.txt)
• Hangul Word Processor file (.hwp)
- Download and install PDFCreator from: from http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator/PDFCreator-stable
- Launch the PDFCreator.
- Drag your document on to the PDFCreator window OR click Document > Add and locate and open the file (change "postScript files (.ps)* to All files (.) in the bottom, right to see your documents).
- Click OK when the message appears saying: "It is necessary to temporarily set PDFCreator as default printer".
- Click save.
- Change the filename if you want to retain the original uncompressed version.
- Once the file has finished compressing the default printer will be changed back and the compressed PDF file will open.
No, there is no automatic notification. If you set the Post Date to the expected Post Date, and stick to that, then students will know (from the Turnitin Assignment's landing page aka Summary) when to check back. Otherwise, tutors can always send a News Forum post saying ‘Your marks are now available to view’.