By Chris Dillon 21/05/08. Version 5.1
Latest version at: http://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/AboutWiki/About+the+UCL+Wiki
How do I add a new page?
- This presumes that the part of the wiki ("space") the page is to be added to exists, if it doesn't, see Creating a space below.
- You must have sufficient permission to be able to edit a wiki to add a page. If you can see the Edit tab on a wiki page you can add a new page to that wiki.
- The procedure is the same whatever kind of space it is (i.e. personal or global).
Please note that only members of UCL staff can create personal spaces.
- Once you are logged on, you should see your name top right as a hyperlink on the UCL Wiki homepage. Click on this link.
- On the page that appears, you should see a message saying You can create a personal space to keep your own pages and news. Click on the create a personal space hyperlink.
- Now you need to set the viewing and editing rights for your space.
By default personal (and global) spaces are only viewable by the person concerned.
Note: Registered users - anyone logged into Confluence has no effect in the UCL implementation of the software.
If you want all registered users to have access, you have explicitly to
- give access to group
- . ucl-staff, ucl-hon, ucl-ug and ucl-pg are other useful groups. For detailed information about UCL access groups, see: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/upi/web-users/intranet-groups
Can I set up my own groups of people and assign rights to those groups?
It is not possible to create your own groups for assigning access rights in the case of a personal space. The procedure for doing it for a global space is:
You can also create your own groups and add people to them by clicking on the Manage Users/Groups tab. It is better to use this feature, rather than granting permission to individuals, as it is a lot less work if you ever need to change the permissions in future.
- It is not recommended that you tick Anonymous - anyone, logged in or not, as this would expose your space to mischievous comments from the unscrupulous.
- The address of your space is:
http://wiki.ucl.ac.uk//display/~your seven digit UCL user id
- It is recommended that you place a watch on your wiki space (Browse Space | Advanced | Start watching this space) so you may be automatically notified of activity. For more information, click here.
What's all this about global spaces?
So far the talk has been about personal spaces. The good news is that global spaces, the main part of the wiki with content from many people, not your personal bit, behave functionally very much the same.
How would I remove my space?
If you ever want to remove your space, click the Browse Space hyperlink top right and then the Space Admin tab. Click Remove Space.