- Turn editing on and choose the resource or activity you would like to add the video to.
- Copy the embed code from where the content is located (how to do this will vary depending on where your content is hosted). Here are some common video content sites you might embed from. Services marked with a star* require you to log in using your UCL credentials:
- UCL Streaming Services - you will have been provided with the embed code when Creative Media Services confirm they have uploaded your content.
- UCL MediaCentral* - UCL ’s video portal [Copy the code to the right of the video under Copy Code (to display in page). Select size below this].
- Youtube - [Click on Share and then Embed in the box below the video and select the text in the box that appears. Use Control-C (or right mouse click, Copy) to copy it. Note you can adjust the size and (via the Options drop-down) the start point of your video at this stage].
- Vimeo (like YouTube) [click the Share icon in the top, right of the video - it looks like a paper aeroplane and choose Embed].
- Khan Academy - free online learning resources [Click Share > Embed] to the bottom, right of the video].
- Box of Broadcast* (BoB) - you can embed TV programmes and films relevant to the subject material into your Moodle course for your students to watch [Below the video choose Embed > Embed as code]. To embed a clip from a full BoB video follow these instructions.
- Lynda.com* - click Share (to the top, right of the page) and copy the code under 'Embed this video' in the pop up window.
- Back in Moodle, click on the Edit icon next to your page or label where you want to place your video. In the text editor, click on the HTML button <> to see the underlying code. Decide where you want the video to go (maybe after a title or some text for example) then Control-V (or right mouse click, Paste) to paste it. Click Save and return to course and you will see the video is embedded and ready to play.
Record an audio or video file via Atto Text Editor
You can now record a 2 minute Audio or Video description using the Atto Text Editor.
- In the Atto text editor, press the Record Audio or Record Video buttons, and a pop-up will appear. Press Start recording.
- After you are done recording, press Stop Recording and Attach Recording after you have reviewed the Audio/Video.
- Note: There is no option to edit the recording.
- Note: This can't be downloaded by the students on the course.
Embed an audio file
Moodle will play the popular MP3 audio format directly in the web browser using the in-built Moodle audio player.
In most places where the text editor is used (such as labels, Moodle web pages, activity descriptions etc.) the insert media button in the editor can be used to find or upload an MP3 file (it must have the .mp3 file extension).
Alternatively, you can place a link to the MP3 file in the same way you would link to a document. Clicking the link will launch Moodle's audio player in a new window.
If you find any inaccurate or missing information you can even update this yourself (it's a communal wiki).
If you have a specific question about the tool please contact the Digital Education team.
Q. How do I start a video at a particular point?
A. Some video services allow you to start playing a video at a particular point. On Box of Broadcasts, you can create a video clip to do this. On YouTube, you can start a YouTube video at a specific point (for example to skip the introduction) by adding &start=20 or any a number of seconds to the very end of the URL (i.e. before the ?).