- To add a Moodle Assignment to your space, Turn editing on, then click on the Add an activity or resource link and select Assignment.
- To see all settings click the Expand all link.
- Enter an Assignment Name and Description (use for brief instructions - displays at the top of the Assignment page - a Template is provided below).
- Some settings we'd particularly like to flag up:
- Anonymous marking - student names will be anonymised until after marking (you can mark anonymised submissions offline).
Marking workflow - enable this to allow all marks and feedback to be released at the same time. It can also help coordinate multiple markers.
- Marking allocation - this allows allocation of markers to work after the deadline; however, if you know in advance who will be marking whose work then it's probably easier to use Groups for this. Marking allocation depends on Marking workflow being enabled.
- Require students to click submit button - only use if you have a good reason, since there's a tendency for students to overlook the Submit button and assume that uploading is the same as submitting. Students can still edit submissions after the due date, although this is rare as Moodle will flag the submission as late if they do. The marker can prevent student's from editing submissions by locking submissions from the view all submission page.
- Turnitin plagiarism plugin settings - you can now enable Turnitin to run in parallel to Moodle Assignment. This allows marking to be done with Moodle assignment's marking tools and text-match checking to be done with Turnitin assignment. If you wish to enable this setting, please read the Moodle Assignment with Turnitin integration guidance.
- Hide grader identity from students - enable this to hide grader name to student.
- Students submit in groups - each group submits work in common, and the marks and feedback you give are distributed to all students in that group*.
Expand title *Group student submission statement
*IMPORTANT: Depending on the settings you select, the submission statement that students must tick will vary. Students will be required to select one for the following statements:
'This assignment is my own work, except where I have acknowledged the use of the works of other people.'
'This submission is the work of my group, except where we have acknowledged the use of the works of other people.'
This submission is my own work as a group member, except where I have acknowledged the use of the works of other people.'
*Details on what is presented when can be found on the Moodle Assignments - Question and Answers page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save and display.
- Hide the grades until you're ready to release - see 'Keeping grades hidden until the release date' in the Moodle Assignment guidance
If you find any inaccurate or missing information you can even update this yourself (it's a communal wiki).
If you have a specific question about the tool please contact the Digital Education team.