Question ref collapsed?
- Code lists are used to create answers for single questions, the same answers used for multiple questions, and column and row headings for the X and Y axes in grids. The Code List label varies depending on what type of code list is being created.
- Code List answer for single question: The label references the question number in the questionnaire. The question number is not collapsed in the ID - the parts of the question number are input with underscores between each part.
- Code list answer for multiple questions: The label references the categories that make up the code list. The first letter of each word in each category is used in the label. Letters are case sensitive. Categories in the code list are separated by an underscore. For example, the label for a code list containing the categories Always, Sometimes, Rarely, Never would be cs_A_S_R_N. The label for a code list containing the categories Not at all, Only a little, Quite a lot, and A great deal would be cs_Naa_Oal_Qal_Agd.
- For code lists containing Yes or No, the whole word is used in the code list, e.g. the label for a code list containing the categories Yes and No would be cs_Yes_No; the label for a code list with categories Yes, No, Not known would be cs_Yes_No_Nk.
- Code lists for labelling grid axes: The label references the main question number in the questionnaire and the axis the code list creates. The axis range IS NOT referenced in the code list label unless it is necessary to make the code list label unique and/or a logical continuation. Further quidance is available here. See Examples.
cs_qF46_b-d_X (Unique/logical continuation)
cs_qF46_b-d_Y (Unique/logical continuation)
- When a grid contains one unlabelled column on the X axis, the code list for the X axis is labelled cs_dash and contains one category ‘-‘. See Example.
|cs_dash (Single unlabelled X axis column)|
- Code list for grid axis when grid has upper left corner label: In order for a left corner label to be added to a grid, the label for the code list related to the corner label is created using the exact wording of the left corner label in the questionnaire. The cs_ prefix IS NOT included in the label. Examples: In the last month:, Skin Prick Test (av diameter).
- If the left corner label occurs more than once in a questionnaire, add the main question number to the ID to make it unique, e.g. ‘A2 In the last month:’; ‘A4 In the last month:’.
In the last month:
Skin Prick Test (av diameter)
- Code list for unnumbered intro or outro question: The code list label references the label used for the question item.
- Label construction when question numbers repeat within questionnaire: Some questionnaires repeat question numbering from section to section. In this case, a section identifier needs to be added to the code list label. If the section identifier is numeric, add ‘s’ before the section number and ‘q’ before the question number. If the section identifier contains text only, then the label is made up of the section name (all lower case and words run together) followed by an underscore and the question reference. Further guidance is available here.
Code list grid Y-axis: