Restrict access can be used with activity completion in order to hide items until other activities are completed (e.g. viewed, or a particular grade received).
Below you can see your available Restrictions options.
Why use it?
If you require your students to read a resource, or add a post to a forum before they can take a quiz, you can use restrict access to ensure the prerequisite activities are completed.
- In the top right hand corner of your course, Turn editing on
- Select the resource you would like to apply the activity completion to, and click on the edit icon
Below is an example of restrictions you can apply against any Moodle activity.
Most used options are, Dates, Groups, Grade options or Activity completion conditions:
- Dates can be restricted from or until a certain date and time.
- Groups or Groupings are used in the course, it is possible to restrict the activity to a certain group or grouping. If they are turned off for this course and not available, these options will not be present for use as an restriction.
- Grade condition allows you to select a grade you want the student to achieve before the item is made available to them.
- Activity completion condition allows you to implement conditions for non-graded items. *NOTE: Questionnaires have an option where the 'Student must receive a grade to complete this activity', which means when a student submits the questionnaire they get 100% for the questionnaire and it is marked as complete. This means you can restrict activities and resources to only those students who complete the questionnaire. E.g. you might provide additional exam tips for those who complete the module feedback.
Restricting access to an entire section
You can restrict access to an entire section of your Moodle course area based on date, name, grouping, activity completion, or grade condition.
- Go to your area and Turn editing on.
- Go to the section for which you want to restrict access.
- Click its Edit icon; a page displays on which you can edit its Summary.
- Scroll down to the Restrict access settings.
- Change the settings as needed, then scroll down and Save changes.
- Check your section is displaying as intended, either by enrolling a colleague in one of the roles affected, or contacting the Digital Education team.