Blackboard Ally is a tool which runs within Moodle. Ally uses machine learning to provide students with alternative file formats for common files in Moodle.
Ally can provide alternative formats for the following file formats:
- PDF files
- Microsoft® Word files
- Microsoft® PowerPoint® files
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice files
- Uploaded HTML files
- Image files (JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF)
The alternative formats that can be produced are:
- Tagged PDF (currently for Word, Powerpoint and OpenOffice/LibreOffice files)
- Audio (mp3)
- ePub for eReaders
- Electronic Braille
- Semantic HTML
- BeeLine Reader format (adds a colour gradient to make reading a document quicker and easier).
- OCR’d version for scanned documents (Note. The quality of OCR conversion is limited).
Where alternative formats are available, you can access them by clicking the Ally icon next to the file name.
To find out more please see the Ally for LMS Student Quick Start guide.