Desktop capture refers to video (and usually audio) capture of computer screens. The audio is commonly in the form of a voice-over from a microphone. So it is commonly used to capture speech over PowerPoint slides - much like in a lecture.
Ideas for use
- Providing short lecture materials and using lecture time for discussion and answering student questions - checkout the Hot Question activity in Moodle for a good way to focus on the most pressing questions among a large cohort of students.
Related articles and information
For a lecture (basic topping and tailing and editing out mistakes):
- Mac & PC: EchoCapture Personal - allows you to capture the screen and yourself (if you have a webcam) and make basic edits. You can then upload it to UCL's Lecturecast system:
please note that support for the desktop capture system is on a best-efforts basis (due to differences in local machine configurations).
For capturing video that may require further editing (titles, images, transitions etc.):
- Windows: BB Flashback Express - a free unlimited length screen capture program (for Windows), which is easy to use and exports to avi for import and editing in Windows Movie Maker.
- QuickTime Player (for Mac) allows you to capture your screen and yourself (if you have a webcam). Go to File > New Screen Recording.
- You can also initiate screen recording by pressing command-shift-5. Ensure you choose a mic input as it may default to 'none'.
- Once you have captured your video, save it as an avi file (or similar).
- Use Windows Movie Maker (Windows), or iMovie (Mac) to edit the video, add titles, images and any transitions.
- Save as an mp4 file for uploading to Lecturecast or Moodle - avoid Flash as it is not smart phone compatible.
- Jing - free screen capture tool to create (up to 5 minute) videos and images directly from your laptop
- Snagit - low cast basic screen capture tool to create videos and images directly from your laptop
- Screencast-o-matic - free online (or downloadable) screen capturing software - start recording immediately!