This page is still under construction.
CLOSER Discovery is a user-friendly online resource which allows users to search and locate variables across multiple UK studies for research purposes. The aim of CLOSER Discovery is to provide a portal to hundreds of thousands of variables, questions and data collection instruments from across the CLOSER studies.
The following studies are a part of CLOSER Discovery:
- Hertfordshire Cohort Study
- MRC National Survey of Health and Development (1946)
- National Child Development Study (1958)
- 1970 British Cohort Study
- Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)
- Southampton Women’s Survey
- Millennium Cohort Study
- Understanding Society: The UK Household Longitudinal Study
CLOSER Discovery is built using metadata. Metadata is data about data, it is essential for using and interpreting data correctly, as without it the data have no context. By using metadata, CLOSER Discovery allows you to find out what is available in the UK’s longitudinal datasets, understand how and when the data were created and make an assessment about whether the data would be useful for you to pursue. Note that CLOSER Discovery does not contain any data, but will allow you to download lists of variables and questions in order to request the data from the various data sources.