Wednesday 29th November, 13:00-18:00.
"The purpose of the event is to translate parts of Finnish Wikipedia into English. Wikipedia, the Encyclopaedia that anyone can edit, is one of the top-ranked websites in the world, so your contribution will reach a wide audience. But you don’t need any prior experience with Wikipedia – all you need to know is how to read and type in Finnish and English, and some basic computer skills."
Details and sign-up.
Participants, welcome - here's how to get started
On this page:
First create an account on English Wikipedia
As follows, first, create an account on the English Wikipedia - that's your destination, the Wikipedia you will be translating into.
- Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/; the English Wikipedia front page displays.
- Click Log in; the sign in page displays.
- Click Join Wikipedia.
- Follow the instructions to create your account (do check for the confirmation email to activate your new account).
- Log into Wikipedia.
Wikimedia administrators will also need to active your account to use the Translation plugin.
The easiest way to let them know is to insert a pre-prepared notice called a Template. This allows Wikimedians to easily list all participants and give you access to the Translation plugin.
Here's how to do that.
To enlarge an image, click on it.
- Be logged into Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/.
- Click 'User Page'; your own page displays.
- Click 'Edit this page'; the page displays in edit mode; not the extra controls.
- Click 'Insert'; a drop-down menu displays.
- From the menu select 'Template'.
- Into 'Add a template' type: Finland Centenary Translatathon; this should return the correct template.
- Click on the title of the template so it displays in the search field.
- Click 'Add template'; a final confirmation page displays.
- Click 'Insert' (you don't need to type in any other information); your draft page displays including the template.
- Remember to 'Save changes'; your page displays.
- The template displays.
Using this template also lets you see who else is participating in the event - participants using the template are listed here.